I am proud to say that I am a high school teacher in an inner city, Rockford Illinois. Recently I asked my students their explanation of gun violence and/or violence in our community.
The results were surprising and exasperating at the same time.
1. Under-educated adults due to lack of parental guidance and support
2. Over 20, incapable of attending and graduating tech school or college due to family responsibilties
3. Unloved young people seeking family seek out gang families
The way I see it is that “we” the United States of America lack any program or job/education/training program for young adults and adults alike that:
1. Have a GED
2. No GED but would like a realistic reason to pursue GED
3. Unemployed Tech School, Junior College, or University that needs job specific education
My personal opinion: “We” need a viable for-profit business operation that attempts to engage the disengaged population of young adults and adults that have been cast off as a lost population.
I have a plan that does this and God willing I will at some point get the ear of someone that can/will make it happen.