As a high school teacher for the last 14 years in Rockford, Illinois I have come to realize that dreams of success that my students entertain do not depend on the their skin color, their gender, or their sexual orientation.
The school I teach is located in a city that in the last census stated that only 20% had a post high school education, and currently 85% of my students receive free or reduced lunches. Do they have a chance to be the next Bill Gates, Steve Jobs or Dr. Percy Juilian? I would say the deck is stacked sky high against them.
Here is what I learned last night during President Obama’s State of the Union Address.
1. He feels business will be the economic savior of our union.
2. He has great expectations of young people in the United States.
3. He has become buddies with Tim Cook CEO of Apple.
4. Obama and Cook have negotiated Apple to start manufacturing some of its incredible products in the United States in 2013.
5. Obama has created an Manufacturing/Education facility in Ohio
6. Obama wants to create 3 more in the most heavily impacted cities in the United States.
7. Obama would like bigger business to make it less difficult for business to surivive and flourish.
Rubio essentially agrees with everything except #7. He wants smaller government and less regulations that will make it less difficult for business to succeed due to less paperwork.
Bottom line. Lets get over the political obstacles and get on to finding a middle ground. We need to spend less but also need to grow more. Neither party has said that “no” money can be spent. Regardless of one’s political opinion I don’t think anyone honestly feels that our country has a chance of success with out a combination of cuts and spending.